Welcome to Snippets – short articles and descriptions of hot topics in the media and this website
- What is volcanic ash? – You might have heard about volcanic ash before but do you know what it really is and what it’s made up of?
- Is volcanic activity increasing globally? – the media might make you think so, but are there really more volcanoes erupting compared to previous years?
- What IS a supervolcano? – It’s a hot term for scaremongering in the media, but what really defines a supervolcano?
- How fast is lava? – Recent videos of fast flowing rivers of lava might have made you question your walking pace, but how fast does lava really flow?
- Hazards to consider before visiting a volcano – Do you know what hazards threaten your safety when you explore and volcano and how to prepare for these? Will you survive your next volcanic adventure?
- Floating rocks – Did you know that there are 2 rocks with the ability to float, and one of them has a fiery, volcanic origin?!
- How do volcanoes make diamonds? – Before you say yes to that proposal where did your diamond come from?